The sub theme I selected is : the role of current and emerging technologies (Bolstad, Gilbert, McDowall, Bull, Boyd & Hipkins, 2012. I attempted to address this theme by using available technologies to improve outcomes for students through a flipped classroom model with one of my maths classes.
Technology has been introduced using BYOD but I felt I was not using technology well to benefit students - hence my enrolment in Mindlab. Bolstad, Gilbert, McDowall, Bull, Boyd & Hipkins recognised that simply introducing new ICT tools and infrastructure into schools does not trigger beneficial and meaningful educational change.
To be honest I was a little fearful of dipping my feet into a practice that I was not confident with. Questions ran through my mind such as, “what if the students hated my model and it was an utter failure?” In fact the Initial feedback when I showed students in class the resources we would be using was not positive and I was surprised to discover that some students, who I expected to be early adopters of technology, were averse to change in the classroom. Fortunately for us all the experience became positive as the process went on and I felt more confident as I began to see successes with students.
My next challenge was whanau who questioned whether students actually had homework online or were trying to gain more screen time. Then there were those students who were disadvantaged because they didn’t have access to wifi at home. Both challenges were overcome.
I believe the changes did improve my teaching practice because I could give targeted teaching to flexible small groups depending on need versus me grouping students depending on testing which were less flexible. This was difficult in that it is very different to my usual teaching programme and it felt messy, like I was not in control as the student’s needs arose. However I quickly saw that I was providing for far greater differentiation than previously.
While I certainly was not redefining practices I was utilising current technologies I hadn’t used to their potential before which is a positive step towards utilising more technologies as I become more confident to take risks and try new things.
I believe I have seen an opportunity to use the potential of technology to transform teaching and learning to underpin some themes of 21st century learning (Bolstad, Gilbert, McDowall, Bull, Boyd & Hipkins, 2012). My changes support continuous learning for me and re-thinking the learner-teacher role as I am directed by learners along with catering for diversity through greater differentiation. More learning is taking place at home students so can share this learning with parents and whanau versus taking practice examples home which parents often cannot help with because, particularly in mathematics, teaching has changed significantly.
My next challenge is to build on this experience by further developing a diverse range of opportunities for how tutorials are presented - for example create tutorials using materials we used the classroom for a clear connection. I would attempt the same model again because I experienced great learning moments with students, however further development is needed to create collaborative ways for students to show evidence of learning and I have begun planning to incorporate collaborative, contextually relevant tasks and options for knowledge as a tool to solve problems which cater for student diversity.
My intention is to use data from the websites I am using to track student progress and engagement (AJ+ 2015). This can be shared with parents more regularly and in a meaningful way. I am becoming comfortable with allowing learning to be less controlled by me and adjusting my planning as needed.
References
AJ+. (16 Sep 2015) 5 Technologies That Will Change Classroom Education. Retrieved from
Bolstad, R., and Gilbert, J., with McDowall, S., Bull, A., Boyd, S., and Hipkins, R. (2012) Supporting future-oriented learning and teaching: A New Zealand perspective. Report to the Ministry of Education. New Zealand Council for Educational Research.
Finlay, L. (2009). Reflecting on reflective practice. PBPL. Retrieved from http://www.open.ac.uk/opencetl/sites/www.open.ac.uk.opencetl/files/files/ecms/web-content/Finlay-(2008)-Reflecting-on-reflective-practice-PBPL-paper-52.pdf
No comments:
Post a Comment